As pencil skirt designs differ according to their length, size, color, material, occasion, you must read this before buying. Here, we also included amazing outfits, read and choose which outfit is more suitable. The pencil skirt usually wears either as a separate piece of clothing or as part of a suit. The pencil skirt looks slim and narrow which can restrict the movement of the wearer.
Therefore, pencil skirts got slit at the back, or less commonly at the sides. A pleat, which exposes less skin, can be used instead of a slit. Shoes like pumps, high heels as well as flats (more casual) going with this type of skirt. The pencil skirt looked different from looser skirts. Adjustments can be made by the wearer to manage movement and posture successfully. Short strides should be maintained in walking. Practice is needed when entering and leaving a car in an attractively elegant way.
When sitting, the legs are kept close together. Riding bicycles and climbing ladders can be very difficult tasks if you are wearing a pencil skirt. The pencil skirt is warmer because of reduced ventilation and also less possibility to be blown up by gusts of wind. The pencil skirt can be modified to make walking easier with a normal stride using a kick pleat or a vent in the center back seam of the skirt while preserving the slimline.
Pencil skirts considered a wardrobe staple as they are versatile, flattering, and great for looking professional and feminine at the same time.
Adding Styles for pencil skirts is endless as they’re the perfect piece to transition from day tonight. Linen Pencil Skirt and tuck in a denim shirt is a great outfit for a casual. Also, a faux leather skirt with a cropped sweater or Downtown Cami superb for a flattering and chic outfit that makes it mind-blowing.
Pencil Skirts good to use as formal wear as they’re perfect for an interview and days at the office. Pencil skirts are really slimming, clean, and sophisticated. You are wearing an oversized blazer, and tuck in a cami for an interview will emphasize your skills and your style. Stick with a Midi Pencil Skirt with a neutral color doing great for a business meeting, or go bold in a brightly colored or patterned pencil skirt to make your work wardrobe more exotic.
Pencil skirts can be categorized according to the length
The height of the skirt varies according to the person’s desire, the shape of the body as well as cultural influence. According to height, pencil skirts come as midi pencil skirts, long pencil skirts, mini pencil skirts, short pencil skirts, high waisted pencil skirts. Pencil skirts work better with height. For shorter ones’ heels are a must. During the winter season, high boots and for summer, kitten heels can be used.
Size based pencil skirts
Pencil skirts available from extra small (xs) to plus sizes. In order to get the correct size of your pencil skirts, your Pencil skirts must take the following measurements. WAIST- circumference around the smallest part of your torso above your belly button.
You must relax and breathe out. HIPS – Circumference around the widest part of your bottom. (Tailors already add some length to make movement ease at the hips, so you have enough room to walk and sit). LEG CIRCUMFERENCE – Measure around legs at the end of the skirt. Usually, a pencil skirt ends below the knees.
The length can depend on one’s choice. LENGTH – Desired length of the skirt from natural waist. The length of the skirt is not a standard value. A number of various pencil skirt designs can be found for kids. Actually, pencil skirts are suitable for every age with the correct outfit. Can add peplum for the pencil skirt, which will support to hide any problem around tummy that is a great option for plus-sized beauties.
Pencil skirts with different colors
When considering pencil skirts, we can find them in many colors like black, white, red, yellow, Rey, colorful, brown, or lilac. Pencil skirts with black, navy blue, and dark grey suitable to wear for work. According to Neiman Marcus, “women who wear black lead colorful lives.” When you wear a black color pencil skirt and walking through the office or into a luxury restaurant, a black pencil skirt can take all the attention. Combining the correct color that flatters any figure with a skirt shape that does the same, there is really no space for any mistake.
To maintain this look, forget the little old black dress and go searching for the fabulous ‘little black pencil skirt.’ A pencil skirt that places on or below the knees gives women a class and allure. The styling options are endless. Silk blouses and black heels improve ladies for a chic look. If you’re curious to try something a little edgier, bold colored crops, faux fur, and leather accessory will lead your path to success.
Some black color pencil skirt outfits;
- Grey sleeveless blazer and a black pencil skirt and introduce silver leather.
- Black check button-down blouse and a black pencil skirt with a pair of black cutout suede pumps.
- Black knit turtleneck and a black pencil skirt, and add a pair of red leather over-the-knee boots.
- Red blazer and a black pencil skirt with navy leather pumps
- Black puffer coat with a black pencil skirt.
- Black leather peplum top and a black pencil skirt, add a pair of black leather heeled sandals.
- Grey coat and a black pencil skirt and add a pair of grey leopard suede pumps.
- White fringe short sleeve blouse is to wear with a black pencil skirt with a pair of black lace pumps.
- Orange floral long sleeve blouse and a black pencil skirt with a pair of black suede pumps.
- Black crew-neck sweater and a black pencil skirt with a pair of blue suede pumps.
- Red button-down blouse and a black pencil skirt with black suede-heeled sandals.
A white pencil skirt just fulfills your fashion dreams on pristine, luxurious outfits. This statement can transform your entire personality. When wearing these outfits, you ready to take on the appearance of a chic, alluring, and angelic figure. Ultimately, the way this skirt is modified will automatically alter the overall effect.
Some white color pencil cut skirt outfits;
- The relaxed, casual pairing of a white cropped sweater and a white pencil skirt with black leather heeled sandals.
- for a cool-meets-classic ensemble, pair a black chiffon button-down blouse with a white pencil skirt. Add a pair of black leather pumps.
- Try a tan knit turtleneck with a white pencil skirt and white leather low-top sneakers.
- A grey plaid double-breasted blazer and a white pencil skirt (casual lineup) with black leather pumps.
- Beige knit oversized sweater with a white pencil skirt with a pair of black and white low-top sneakers. This outfit is for a day with confidence.
- Try to pair a black silk sleeveless top with a white pencil skirt with black leather.
- Try wearing a combination of a black duster coat and a white pencil skirt with a pair of black suede pumps.
- Beige tank and a white pencil skirt suit for casual cool and casual style and a pair of beige leather heeled sandals.
- Try a blue denim jacket with a white pencil skirt with a pair of gold leather pumps to rev up the glamour factor.
- Try wearing a blue denim shirt and a white pencil skirt with black and gold suede pumps.
- Beige cardigan and a white pencil skirt with a black and tan leather pumps.
- Black lace biker jacket and a white pencil skirt with black suede-heeled sandals.
The red skirt is bright, but this color is most frequently chosen, especially for special event outfits. This red color pencil skirts favorable staple among bloggers and trendsetters. The red color comes with lots of shades, starting from pale to rich hues.
Some red color pencil cut skirt outfits;
- Beige long sleeve blouse and a red pencil skirt with a black leather double monk.
- Silver sequin short sleeve blouse and a red pencil skirt with tan leopard suede pumps.
- Black leather biker jacket and a red pencil skirt with a more polished kind of shoes, such as black suede ankle boots.
- Pink long sleeve blouse and a red pencil skirt.
- White sleeveless top and a red pencil skirt with a pair of tan leather pumps.
- Tan leopard long sleeve blouse and a red pencil skirt.
- Black leather biker jacket and a red pencil skirt with a pair of white leather low-top sneakers.
- Black cropped top and a red pencil skirt with black suede-heeled sandals.
- Red knit turtleneck and a red pencil skirt with red leather pumps.
- Black floral open jacket and a red pencil skirt with a pair of black cutout suede ankle boots.
Yellow color pencil skirts look amazing with blue, lavender, royal purple, white, gray, and black tops.
Some yellow color pencil cut skirt outfits;
- A combination of a beige cropped top and a yellow pencil skirt with a pair of grey leather pumps
- A combination of a black leather biker jacket and a yellow pencil skirt with silver leather pumps
- You can try out wearing a combination of a navy blazer and a yellow pencil skirt with white and black vertical striped leather heeled sandals.
- A grey coat with a yellow pencil skirt adds a pair of multi-colored print leather heeled sandals
- A combination of a grey trench coat and a yellow pencil skirt with a pair of pink leather pumps.
- You can try out a combination of a multi-colored sleeveless top and a yellow pencil skirt with white cutout leather pumps.
- Try out a navy and white polka dot chiffon dress shirt and a yellow pencil skirt.
- A combination of a black turtleneck and a yellow pencil skirt, and a pair of gold leather pumps.
- Try a navy and white horizontal striped long sleeve t-shirt and a yellow pencil skirt.
- A combination of a white dress shirt and a yellow pencil skirt with black suede-heeled sandals.
Some purple color pencil cut skirt outfits;
- You can try out a grey cropped top and a purple pencil skirt with silver leather-heeled sandals.
- A navy plaid dress shirt with a purple pencil skirt with a pair of black cutout suede ankle boots.
- A white pea coat with a purple pencil skirt with black leather ankle boots.
- A navy denim jacket and a purple pencil skirt with a pair of black leather pumps
- Try out a combination of navy and white horizontal striped V-neck t-shirt and a purple pencil skirt with tan leather pumps.
- A grey short sleeve sweater with a purple pencil skirt with a pair of shoes, like white and black print leather pumps
- Try a light violet blazer and a purple pencil skirt with white embellished leather pumps.
- A purple tweed jacket and a purple pencil skirt, and a pair of grey suede pumps
- A purple peasant blouse with a purple pencil skirt and a brown snake leather pumps
- Try a dark purple polka dot button-down blouse and a purple pencil skirt with a pair of dark purple suede pumps.
Brown color pencil skirts go with bright blues, white, pink, reds, greens, and tan. Wearing brown pencil skirts with blouses and sweaters during winter, and choose cute tops and tees during spring and summer.
Some brown color pencil cut skirt outfits;
- Try a beige knit wool turtleneck and a brown pencil skirt with black leather pumps.
- A black wool turtleneck and a brown pencil skirt.
- Try a black shearling jacket and a brown pencil skirt.
- A beige coat and a brown pencil skirt and add a pair of tobacco leather knee-high boots
- Try a black crew-neck t-shirt and a brown pencil skirt with a pair of white leather low-top sneakers.
- A white cable sweater with a brown pencil skirt. With beige leather pumps
- Try a black print crew-neck t-shirt and a brown pencil skirt with white leather mules.
- A blue denim jacket with a brown pencil skirt with a chic pair of tan leather heeled sandals
- Try a grey V-neck sweater and a brown pencil skirt, and wearing white low-top sneakers.
- A white crew-neck t-shirt and a brown pencil skirt, and add white low-top sneakers to the mix.
Fabrics that are used to sew pencil skirts
Use of medium-weight woven fabrics (can have some stretch). Like crepe, medium-weight cotton such as linen, twill, denim, cotton/linen blends, or even suiting fabrics. During warm weather, choose fabrics with natural fibers; for work, suiting fabrics are more suitable; or for a casual skirt, denim or twill are the best. Other than these fabrics nowadays leather, lace fabric to use for pencil skirts. For the lining, lightweight cotton fabrics such as voile or lawn will be a superb choice.
Leather pencil skirts
Leather pencil skirts will be perfect for office-styled, casual, and party looks. Just combine it with airy lace or satin blouses for an elegant look and chic outfit. When it mixes with loose sweatshirts and oversized blazers (or even leather jackets), you will have a rock’n’roll look. Able to choose any color for leather pencil skirts, but it’s great to pay attention to black, brown, red, marsala, or emerald ones.
Choose a leather pencil skirt is ideal for plus-size ladies. These skirts are better to pair with a top that is not so fitting. It’s good to choose the correct length and size that can flatter any figure.
- Shoes will depend on the occasion. Try heels or ankle/knee-length boots.
- As office wear, leather pencil skirts are best worn knee-length or longer and pair it with any top which is not revealing, such as a lace top or buttoned blouse.
- For a party or a night-out dance, these kinds of skirts are fabulous.
- If you want additional comfort, use a stretch leather skirt.
- Choose a midi pencil style that goes well with tops that are left untucked, or you can also layer with a wool jacket or blazer. If all these things are not your choice, then you can tuck in the blouse.
- Choose tops with long sleeves and high necklines.
- Additionally, a black leather bag and high-heeled ankle boots can be used to have a more fabulous look.
Denim pencil skirts
Perfect to use as any summer wardrobe. Chic, laidback, and effortlessly cool skirt. Don’t forget to use pair of simple heels to elongate the legs and elevate a chic look. Good for teenagers.
- Putting together a blue denim pencil skirt and white silk long sleeve blouse with red suede pumps
- Choose a white button-down shirt and a light blue distressed pencil knee-length skirt, a gray belt, sunglasses, and silver pumps.
- Try to choose a black and white striped shirt and combine it with a denim high-waisted midi skirt, sunglasses, a black backpack with pair of black lace-up high heels.
- As a relaxed outfit, a black sleeveless top and combine it with a pencil skirt, an embellished belt, black mules, and a beige tote bag.
- Choose a denim skirt with a denim shirt; a printed denim button-down shirt and pair it with a midi skirt, a mini bag, and red pumps.
Lace pencil skirts
If you think lace is outdated, bridal, or simply it’s a mistake. Place those negative thoughts aside for a moment. It’s an ultra-feminine fabric that can be the centerpiece of a refreshingly modern, on-trend outfit. Lace can be, in essence, a highly detailed fabric.
- Lace pencil skirts look wonderful with loose shirts. As an example, a loose white sweatshirt and combine it with a white lace pencil knee-length skirt with pair of beige patent leather pumps.
- A loose peach sweater and mix it with a white lace pencil skirt, a chain strap mini bag, oversized sunglasses, and red satin ankle strap high heels.
- Try a combination with a denim button-down shirt, a white high-waisted skirt, a pale pink leather waist bag, and beige shoes, good for a more casual look.
- Try a gray sweater with a midi skirt, a leopard clutch, and flats.
- A blue denim jacket and a black lace pencil skirt with white leather pumps
Pencil skirts patterns at a glance!
Ruched pencil skirts A ruched skirt is a flirty pencil skirt. This skirt is intended to be fitted. Depending on your choice’ it will fit at either your natural waist or just above your high hip. Options Include:
- Try elastic ruching on the sides of the skirt for a simple, elegant look.
- Mini length skirt
- Mid-rise (hits around the high hip)
- Try tied ruching for an adjustable, sporty look.
- Knee-length skirt
- High rise (hits around the natural waist)
Can get a look of casual by teaming denim vest with a white top and beautiful, long, high-slit ruched skirt. Plaid pencil skirts Plaid has been considered a must-have in any fashion lover’s wardrobe. When incorporated with the classic pencil skirt silhouette, this pattern creates glamorous outfits for the modern, working woman.
Colors such as dreamy violets, pastel pinks, and egg-shell blues come into the mix, and this garment becomes more stylish. Keep your skirt length below the knees and wear it with a matching jacket and add boots or heels. Women are looking for a more off-duty look experiment with colorful plaid prints, an on-trend clear raincoat, or a classic military trench.
Depending on the style, you could wear a plaid skirt with boots, flats, or even heels for a night out as well as for a day out. Pencil skirts with pockets Pencil skirts can be sewed by adding pockets. It shows a more casual look. Pencil skirt Outfits for work
- Try a black pencil skirt with a bright floral top and a colorful handbag. Also, add a pair of open-toed sandals that are the with the right accessories.
- As a casual office outfit, tiger print pencil skirt with a plain white blouse, gold hoop earrings, and black slides.
Pencil skirt Outfits for party
- As an outfit used to meet clients, it should look professional but not stuffy, so wearing a bold floral printed skirt with a plain-shirt-and-blazer combo. Add on a structured accessory like a crossbody bag and slingback heels for a polished ensemble.
- As a weekend outfit, denim pencil skirt with sneakers and turtleneck top.
- A black pencil skirt paired with a multi-striped sleeveless top and add classic black pumps, arm-parties, and statement pearl necklace.
- Dark pink silken cropped sweater and team it with a high-waisted pencil skirt with a side slit and wear ankle-strap golden pointed-toe pump this make more monochrome and matchy.
- High-waisted black sequined pencil skirt and pair it with gingham black-white shirt with ankle-strap platform pointed-toe pump and statement sunglasses in order to keep it fancy, glamour, and somewhat retro-inspired.
- The young lady appears on the streets. Wearing a halter high-neck crop blouse paired with a high-rise burgundy knee-length pencil skirt with a side slit and adding grey-beige ankle-strap sandals lead to a sexier look.
- A pastel green short cardigan atop ruffled pastel peach blouse tucked in crochet white midi pencil skirt.
- Wrap pencil skirt in snakeskin print worn with a perforated white sweater and caged black heeled sandals.
- Floral print mini pencil skirt with a simple white top and blush shortened biker jacket.
- Silvery midi pencil skirt with cutout details worn with a simple white T-shirt and ankle-strap platform sandals in golden metallic hue shows more glamour.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a pencil skirt?
Pencil skirts are usually straight, short, end before the knee, and taper as they approach the hemline. Some pencil skirts run down till your calf (if you need a long skirt) but follow the same pattern of narrowing out. This kind of skirt can be worn as both formal and casual attire, depending on the material and how you style it.
The pencil skirt is versatile. As you can wear it a million times, even the same skirt, and you never get bored of it as it doesn’t look like you are repeating it. It suits all body types. It matches so well on your body and takes the shape of it perfectly to enhance all your assets. If we describe pencil skirts using few words, it can be like this; ONE SKIRT, MULTIPLE LOOKS.
What is the difference between a pencil skirt and a straight skirt?
A pencil skirt and a straight skirt are very similar. But pencil skirt should be tapered from the hips to the knees that should be very close-fitting. A straight skirt falls straight from the hips to the knees, so it is a little looser. Generally, the hem continues to or is just below the knee in a pencil skirt. It is a slim-fitting skirt with a straight and narrow cut.
It is long and slim like a pencil. Try a straight skirt in its simplest form is a rectangle of fabric, either short or long. The straight skirt got an elastic waistband. More complex straight skirts got a fitted waistband with a zipper fastener and side darts to shape the skirt to the body. Full, pleated, flouncy, and layered skirts are opposite in style to the straight skirt.
How does it feel to wear a pencil skirt?
A pencil skirt may feel different from any other looser skirt, as it impacts the wearer’s movements & postures. Try a pencil skirt that usually has a vent at the back, or less commonly at the sides. Adding a vent is important since it’s a slim, narrow shape; otherwise, it restricts the movement of the wearer’s legs. When sitting down, legs need to be kept close/tight together.
Moreover, when walking, it is necessary to use short strides. When entering & leaving a vehicle, it must take some practice. Activities such as climbing stairs or ladders, squatting down & riding motorbikes can be very difficult when wearing a pencil skirt. Most modern pencil skirts are usually made from stretchy knitted fabrics; normally, they don’t need vents or kick pleats. Due to less ventilation, it’s warmer than other types of skirts. It’s less likely to be blown up by a gust of strong winds.
Maybe many women feel uncomfortable with their pencil skirts, but they were enjoyed wearing them as pencil skirts can be altered, making them more comfortable. Nowadays, pencil skirts still looking great, gorgeous, sexy, luxurious, classy & elegant for any professional career woman on their daily work or casual wear basis. Sometimes it makes women feel sexy because it’s all pressed against their skin and that highlighting their figure perfectly.
Why is it called a pencil skirt?
Because this skirt got a pencil-straight appearance, the designer Christian Dior originally used the term “H-line” to describe its shape. So, it is easy to distinguish from the full-skirted “A-line” style (after the relative shapes of the letters “H” and “A”). Actually, its straight and narrow cut resembles the long and slender appearance of a pencil; the reason why this skirt type is called a pencil skirt.
What do you wear under a pencil skirt?
Pencil skirts are somewhat snug and form-fitting; if you use the wrong underwear can easily create unwanted creases, lines, and folds. To build up the best possible outfit starts with choosing the correct undergarments. Any panty style should work for the skirt itself and fits your body properly.
For pencil skirts, you should consider wearing seamless undergarments or thongs to completely erase unwanted lines. By wearing some type of shapewear will mask unwanted folds. “Tummy tuckers” and girdles should be able to provide structure to your lower abdomen and upper thigh. That will make the area seem much sleeker and trimmer.
Do guys like pencil skirts?
The style of pencil skirt follows the shape of a woman’s body, drawing attention to the curves perfectly. A pencil skirt clearly outlines the body it encases. Pencil skirts are the best suit for curvy figures with a small waist, rounded hips, and flat tummy.
Try adding a wide belt to emphasize the small waist, or pair it with a touchable sweater for a truly enticing look. Definitely, you can get attention from others, especially from guys. Short skirts can be sometimes looked cheap or slutty. But pencil skirts are below the knee; they look very ‘hot’ without looking to try hard. Can you wear a pencil skirt if you have a tummy?
Always choose high waisted pencil skirt as it will help you to flatten your tummy and make you look fit. Never choose short pencil skirts as they will highlight your thicker thighs and also the midsection area by making you completely look fatty and unattractive. A long, knee-length fitted skirt shows a slimming effect on your entire body.
Also, the longer size skirts will deemphasize the bigger thighs structuring you look fit. Don’t buy patterned and bright pencil skirts; they will highlight the extra fats on your body. Always try to choose darker shades like solids, browns or black or navies, and other dark but rich colors. Tops can be in bright colors or light shaded ones. Wear accessories that will increase your beauty. Choose vertical lined and lapin designs. Lines like stripes, a slit, or with longer zipper will make you look long and lean.
If you got a rounder or matured body…
If you got a rounder or matured body, always try to buy plain skirts. Avoid pencil skirts with detail like pockets, buttons, trim and gatherings, etc. Try a wrap top with a cute jacket to Look fit. Choose the right combination of upper dress and other accessories which will make you look slim and fit in pencil skirts. You also can try a fitted top with some stretch and ruching that will cover-up your tummy. Better to wear heels as that will lead to elongate your frame and will suit your body.
Do pencil skirts look good on everyone?
Everyone looks good in a pencil skirt. If you have a heavy tummy it is wiser to choose high waisted pencil skirt as it will help you to make you look fit. Never choose short pencil skirts as they will highlight your thicker thighs and also the midsection area by making you completely look fatty and unattractive. A long, knee-length fitted skirt shows a slimming effect on your entire body. Also, the longer size skirts will deemphasize the bigger thighs structuring you look fit.
Do not buy patterned and bright pencil skirts; they will highlight the extra fats on your body. Always try to choose darker shades like solids, browns or black or navies, and other dark but rich colors. Tops can be in bright colors or light shaded ones. Wear accessories that will increase your beauty. Choose vertical lined and lapin designs. Lines like stripes, a slit, or with longer zipper will make you look long and lean.
If you got a rounder or matured body, always try to buy plain skirts. Avoid pencil skirts with detail like pockets, buttons, trim and gatherings, etc. Try a wrap top with a cute jacket to Look fit. Choose the right combination of upper dress and other accessories which will make you look slim and fit in pencil skirts. You also can try a fitted top with some stretch and ruching that will cover-up your tummy.
- Wearing heels will lead to elongate your frame and will suit your body.
- If you got top-heavy in the chest and tummy, choose to try tucking out and wear a cute jacket as overtopping.
- Wearing a vest or sweater tucked out will reduce attention on your belly bulge. Along a big scarf, earrings, or necklace to take attraction up to your face. The sweater must not be big and baggy.
- The easiest way is to use shapewear.
- For Petites, choose pencil-appropriate skirt styles that show a little more leg to make your legs look longer.